Friday 3 October 2014

Courthouse Steps Jelly Roll Quilt

Courthouse Steps Block
Courthouse steps from my Stinky Boy Quilt
You've probably seen my photos on Facebook and Instagram  of the Stinky Boy Quilt I've been working on. I finished the top yesterday and thought it was about time I told you a little more about it. I've even included a quick tutorial at the end. Yay me.

This was started as a trial for a quick jelly roll quilt. I posted my Super Easy Jelly Roll Quilt (a.k.a 1600 Quilt/Jelly Roll Race) previously and thought it was about time to see what else these funky little pre-cuts could do. I've had this Kona Naturals jelly roll sitting in my stash for ages so I thought it would be a great one to use for the trial. In other words, I wouldn't cry too much if it didn't work.

I'm calling it my Stinky Boy Quilt for no reason other than it being intended for my stinky boy beloved partner. I certainly don't mean to say that all boys like these types of colours. They are, however, all stinky.

Anywho, here's the finished quilt top...
Completed Quilt Top
Completed Quilt Top
I'm actually really happy with how it turned out. I love the colours and the simplicity. It really shows how powerful quilting can be when simple neutral solids can have as much impact as beautiful prints.

That's enough history though. Let's talk tutorial. I've whipped up a quick tutorial here showing how to construct the block. I'll list what I used for this quilt, but leave it up to you to resize and rotate the blocks as you see fit.

Cutting
Take two jelly roll strips of contrasting colours. For this example, let's assume the dark piece will be the inner and outer layers and the light piece will be the middle.

From the light piece cut:
Two pieces 2.5'' x 2.5'' square
Two pieces 2.5'' x 6.5'' square

From the dark piece cut:
One piece 2.5'' x 2.5'' square
Two pieces 2.5'' x 6.5'' square
Two pieces 2.5'' x 10.5'' square
Cutting diagram
Cutting Diagram
Construction
Use a 1/4'' seam allowance.

Sew the two light 2.5'' squares on either side of the dark 2.5'' square.
Sew the 2.5'' squares together
Sew the 2.5'' squares together
Sew the two light 2.5'' x 6.5'' strips to the long edges of the block.
Sew the 2.5'' x 6.5'' lighter strips to the long edge
Sew the light 2.5'' x 6.5'' strips
Sew the two dark 2.5'' x 6.5'' strips to the block. These should be on the opposite sides than the light 6.5'' strips. See the image below for the positioning.
Sew the darker 6.5'' strips
Sew the dark 6.5'' strips
Sew the two dark 2.5'' x 10.5'' strips to the long edges of the block.
Sew the darker 10.5'' strips to the block
Sew the dark 10.5'' strips to the block
Your final block should measure 10.5'' x 10.5'' square.
Final block measures 10.5'' x 10.5''
Final block measures 10.5'' x 10.5''
I pressed each seam out towards the strip that was being attached. It's really not an issue until the last seam. None of them intersect until you start joining blocks and rows, in which case simply press the seams in alternate directions.

My quilt measures 40'' x 50'' and I used 30 jelly roll strips (15 light and 15 dark). Using the above as an example, one block will require one full dark strip and half of a light strip. These requirements are reversed for the blocks that are light on the outside and dark in the middle.

What jelly roll range do you think would look great for this quilt?

No comments:

Post a Comment