Tuesday 22 September 2015

#quiltblockstohealviolence

Quilt Blocks to Heal Violence (#quiltblockstohealviolence)

I like to keep this blog light-hearted. I like to keep it fun, casual and enjoyable. I like to think my writing is a much needed distraction from the stresses and negativity we may face in our daily lives. Today, however, I offer no such distraction.

In recent weeks I have been shocked by the horrific news of yet another two women losing their lives in domestic violence situations in Australia. If the statistics I have read are true, then the number of deaths through domestic violence is appalling. I had planned on writing more about my feelings here but I simply don't have the words.

Needless to say, when I stumbled upon the Quilt Blocks to Heal Violence campaign (#quiltblockstohealviolence) on Instagram, I was in!!!

Instagramer @jackiegillies has put out the call for the donation of quilt blocks. She plans on putting these towards quilts to be donated to domestic violence shelters and related charities throughout Australia.

The quilt block used will be the Tic Tac Toe Block from Blossom Heart Quilts. Jackie has requested low volume for the background with brightly coloured crosses.

I have decided to do my part on Facebook and rally the troops for a sew along in my Facebook Group The Sew Quilty Workshop. The aim is to donate as many blocks as possible between now and the end of October. We will use the Facebook group to encourage each other to give all we can. Please jump on over and sign up for this great cause.

If you're interested in donating, but don't sew, please contact Jackie (@jackiegillies). Backing fabric and quilt batting, or Spotlight gifts cards to help purchase these, will also be required.

Let's get sewing!!!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Rachel! I'm in for sure! I'll check it out on fb. Thanks for starting the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great cause. Jackie has done a wonderful job encouraging everyone to do what they can. I'll certainly be sending a few blocks her way.

      Delete