Monday 18 August 2014

Rules schmules...do what works for you.

I have a pet peeve. Comments like "DON'T" and "HAVE TO" when explaining a quilting process (or anything for that matter). It really irks me. Many people are intimidated to try quilting and comments like this do nothing to help the situation. Whenever I see forceful, shouty comments I just want to write "YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MUM" and slam my bedroom door. It's totally unnecessary and just a little rude. Yes, make suggestions, but, as far as I'm concerned, there is no right or wrong in quilting.  

I've seen such heated discussion over some techniques and all I can think is "Seriously? It's a quilt". You know I love quilting...I mean I really love quilting...but is it worth that much anger? "Ooooooo you found a technique that works a teeny bit better than mine. Please wait here while I call the Committee for Being a Pompous Git so they can prepare your award". I imagine they'll do it wrong though, so perhaps you need to go and oversee that too.

If you have a method that works for you, then that is your right way. It doesn't matter what the next quilter along is doing. 

This applies to all things quilting. I love aurifil, others don't. I love Moda fabrics, pre-cuts, basting spray...others would have a few colourful words to say about each. I've even heard of people saying that someone wasn't a real quilter because they 'only' pieced the top and paid someone else to do the quilting. "Pfft" is what I say to that (mainly because my Mum reads my blog and "Pfft" is much nicer than "@$*#%!!!"). 

It all comes down to personal preference and there's simply no point in being a snob about it. If you feel a question is beneath your high standing in life, then ignore it and move on. I cannot, for the life of me, see the benefit in making people feel bad for doing something a different way to you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't help or make suggestions as to less fiddly, more effective methods...but be nice. Good for you if you've found something that works. It doesn't mean it'll work for me. I have my goals, experience and skills, and you have yours...and let's just respect how interesting our differences make the World... 

...and while we're at it, let's stop scaring away potential quilters and embrace the extraordinary wealth of information that is quilting in the modern age. 

Do you have any quilting pet peeves? Comment below and we can all have a community rant together :D

6 comments:

  1. Oh I do love a good rant! I hear what you're saying and I agree that what works for some may not work for others. And if what you create makes you happy then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good point. People get so caught up in what everybody else is doing that they forget that one key point...to be happy.

      Delete
  2. I love a good rant! :) LOL I hear what you are saying ...... I so agree about scaring away potential quilters ... I hope I am never guilty of that :( thanks for the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't quilt, but the same argument can be made in dressmaking! I once had a dressmaking teacher humiliate me in only my second sewing class ever, simply because I didn't want to use interfacing. So -- well said Rachael! Who cares how something is done? As look as the maker is happy with the outcome, all those other nasty people can sod off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo I have a special level of crankiness for teachers that use humiliation to get the point across.

      Delete